Sunday, December 20, 2009

What will happen to my clothes if I wash them with bleach?

I stored most of my clothes in plastic garbage bags for a year and upon taking them out I'm deathly allergic, probably due to a little bit of mold/mildew that accumulated in the bag. So if I add a bit of non-chlorine bleach to the load, are my clothes going to look like crap after?





I've already tried washing some of them 3 times on the super duty cycle on the machine and although better, I'm still sneezing a little while wearing them.





ThanksWhat will happen to my clothes if I wash them with bleach?
Your light-colored cotton clothes should make it OK through an additional wash cycle with a small amount of detergent and chlorine bleach. It has to be chlorine bleach, I'm sorry to say, to kill mold and mildew. The rinse and dry cycles should take out any bleach odor.





Wool and rayon would be totally ruined by chlorine bleach. Colored cotton garments would lose some of their color. Synthetics might develop off colors or spotted areas. If you value those garments enough, take them to a dry cleaner.What will happen to my clothes if I wash them with bleach?
Find a really nice smelling detergent (that you like) and same with fabric softener. Let them soak in the washer for awhile before you start the cycle.


Also you might try Borateem or Arm and Hammer washing soda or Oxyclean to help freshen them. Good luck
borax is generally safe for most fabrics. you can find it at most supermarkets. it will say BORAX 20 Mule Team, mix it in with your regular detergent. and if it's nice out, just hang 'em outside for a day, that should do it.
As long as it is non-chlorine bleach you should be OK. Where you can use warmer water (or even hot) do so as long as the tag inside each garment says it is OK. If any say 'dry clean only' you should do that despite the cost.
Avoid using the bleach, and throw out the garbage bags, if you haven't already.





Try hanging the clothes out in the sunshine for a couple of hours. Let the sun kill the mold and mildew spores.
Bleach will ruin your clothes, but it'll kill the mold. Try bringing them to a dry cleaner's and see what they can do.
  • acne scar cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment